In 1958, Dr. Stewart Wolf established the Totts Gap Medical Research Institute on his farm in Upper Mt. Bethel, PA. Totts Gap produced a wide range of medical research centered on the brain-body connection, most famously, The Roseto Study. In addition to research, Dr. Wolf was an advocate for the education of the next generation. Whether hosting symposia and lectures, or sponsoring internships, the Institute has always served as an environment for learning.
In December of 2006, the County of Northampton purchased the Institute and 140 acres under the provisions of The Farmland Preservation Act. At that time, James and Angeline Gloria contacted the County with a request to rent the facilities in order to pursue their vision of creating an institute for learning-- for the arts and creativity rather than science.
The mission of the Totts Gap Arts Institute is to nurture artists of all ages, and to awaken the excitement, passion, and possibility of both the fine and performing arts by offering classes, showcasing talent, and hosting events that will infuse our community and the region with a love and respect for the creative process.
For 15 years, Totts Gap Arts Institute (TGAI) fulfilled that mission by:
- Offering classes for all ages in fine and performing arts
- Hosting an annual Arts Fair for local Slate-Belt students
- Creating the award-winning 'Heritage Mural Education Program"
- Presenting the "Muse" concert series of improv dance and jazz
- Hosting the Slate Belt Community Partnership Mainstreet development program
- Helping produce the Sundance film selection "My Best Day"
- Producing multiple short films about the people and history of the Slate Belt
- Building a timber-frame pavilion for an historic Quarry Hoist in downtown Bangor
- Presenting nature programs in partnership with the Nature Conservancy
After the closure of our facilities in 2020, TGAI has embarked on a new program to support arts programming in partnership with local organizations. By providing funding and expertise, TGAI will continue its mission by "ininfusing our community and the region with a love and respect for the creative process."
Our Board of Directors:
Co-founder and Chairperson: James Gloria
Co-founder and Treasurer: Angeline Gloria
Vice Chair: Pascal Fowlkes
Secretary: Charles Cole